Friday, June 18, 2010

Musically Incorrect???

Hi everyone, it's been over 5 months since I last blogged.My short stint in the blog world(only 2 posts) was cut short by studies, exams among other things.Honestly, I did think of ending this self-imposed exile earlier but there was such a riot of ideas in my head that whenever I thought of writing something, they clashed and nullified.However, now I am determined to return to blogging with renewed enthusiasm and better clarity of thought.

And so, what better way to do so than a post related to one of the foremost guiding forces in my life-music.But this post is also about the fact that sometimes we are so prejudiced towards something that we fail to appreciate other finer points in anything else.

Music is something that unifies people througout the world.I am to yet meet anyone who doesn't appreciate any form of music.However, there are a few problems.Unlike me, who likes to appreciate each and every beautiful note, single out every beat,listen minutely to the guitar solo and delve deep into the marvelous lyrics, most people use music as a backdrop while busy in some other chores or while relaxing.Then there are people(read, the oldies although I've seen a lot of young people with this strange syndrome) who really like one particular form of music but don't patronize other forms or their listeners.Therein lies the problem.

My stint with music began at a very early age. Coming from a family of music lovers, I had learnt to appreciate all forms of Indian music-be it Bollywood or Indian classical.However, my trysts with western music were limited to pop artists like Backstreet Boyz,Enrique and Michael Jackson.That was until a few years back when I started exploring contemporary rock.And slowly, over the past couple of years, I have drifted away from Bollywood and Indian classical to full blown rock,R&B and Hip-Hop. However, this transition was not at all taken very kindly by my family, especially my dad, who is a patron of traditional Indian classical music.Thus, it triggered the age old battle of east vs west.He is of the opinion(as well as most other lovers of Indian classical) that western music is all style and no substance and the skills and abilities of Indian artists are far superior than their western counterparts.He has had numerous debates to convince me that I am 'musically incorrect' and after failing to do so, has resigned to the fact that I am now a staunch follower of "guitar strumming, drug addicted freaks".

I can understand how people like my dad might fail to appreciate western music with it's distinctly different style and pattern.When referring particularly to songs, Indian music focusses more on tunes and vocals while western artists focus more on lyrics and instrumentals.However, as I have keenly listened to both forms, I have just been more and more marvelled at the beauty of the music.Be it the heavy guitar work of Slash or the wonderful Sitar work of Ravi Shankar, you can't take anything away from the sound of music.Even though I had shifted to western music, not for once had I stopped admiring Indian music.

You know, I think of music as orgasm to ears.Some people are turned on one thing but others are not.That is why there is no particular reason one can give for liking any particular music.(Well,I'm sure you cannot find a better analogy than this).So, that's the reason why both Taylor Swift and Metallica are appreciated by people.







However, of late pop, rock and roll and rap have been thrown to the dogs.When Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga are the order of the day you know where the standards are sliding.Over the past couple of years, barring a few, there are no rock songs which will remain etched in your memory and rap is slowly turning into nursery rhymes.However, music lovers can keep their fingers crossed expecting sanity to return.Till then, keep listening to what you like and don't ever think of 'musical correctness'.

There, that felt really good.So now that I have returned to blogging I have decided never again to abandon my blog.Watch this space for more posts on music and much more.

3 comments:

  1. a musical post indeed. nice. similar are my tastes though for me, R&B, Hip Hop are a strict no-no. its rock, rock, rock, and of course, metal, metal, and metal :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. you weren't incorrect at all :) .. same problem here in my place :D.

    Review of "Musically Incorrect"

    Tune : very good
    Flow/Rhythm : very good
    Lyrics : Great
    Comment : Mixes the western and bollywood music :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Subhayan: thnx
    @rohan:gud one :D

    ReplyDelete